Thursday, June 23, 2011

Facebook Ads Strike Back: Return of the Weird Pictures

So, I must confess I have a Facebook. This is trufax. I went on a very high horse for a while and deleted my account, but I started to chafe riding on that high horse, so I came back down to the land of cretins and started up again. I like to think that my Facebook usage is totally healthy. It's a super private account and I am only friends with people I interact with. However, I often go through my Facebook friends every month or so and delete all the people I no longer consort with. It's a political move, I know, and I'm sure I seem like a total douchebag, but fact is: If I don't see you in real life or talk to you on a fairly regular basis, it just makes me feel like a stalker to view your status updates talking about you laying a deuce or WHATEVER it is that people use the status update for. Thus, you are eliminated.

But, enough about my personal, tumultuous relationship with Facebook. I know that the topic of how well the ads on Facebook know you has probably already been discussed. But, I often find that the photos that accompany said ads are quite absurd. Check out this one I delightfully stumbled upon the other day:


Here's the thing: I actually seriously do want to go to graduate school for English and for cereals want a grant to do so. HOWEVER, I find this advertisement mildly offensive if it is insinuating that all English major-y type women look like pixelated sorority bums. I will have you know that I am only slightly pixelated and look like a poor, wannabe hipster. Basically, get your facts straight Facebook. Yes, I do want to go to grad school for English (and the fact that you know this is disturbing), however, I do not want to do so at the expense of my personal, physical identity. I won't go full pixel for a grant. I WON'T.

1 comment:

  1. Just let me know if I start morphing into that girl come August.

    ReplyDelete