Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nothing About This Is Okay

Oh, eff you Ben Stein.

Because important rich white dudes never commit crimes! Especially not sexual assault! He had a college degree!!

Attitudes like this are such a problem. And they’re getting published. Why, why would any editor read “People accuse other people of crimes all of the time. What do we know about the complainant besides that she is a hotel maid?” ABOUT HER REPORTING AN ATTACK AND RAPE and think that this was an okay thing to say? “It’s just the help, guys! You can’t trust those criminal working class!” Really?

I’m amazed at the speed at which the privileged white male elite class can rush together. I actually had the rage shakes reading this ‘article.’ He actually argues that this man should get preferential treatment. He is receiving the same treatment any accused rapist gets in New York. That is what happens when you are accused of a rape. You get investigated. SURPRISE, sometimes there are consequences. Not always (not enough) but if he committed this crime he should be punished. When a woman, or a man, comes forward with allegations of rape they should be investigated, always, full stop. How is that even a question? Because this accused rapist was rich, white and educated, he should be afforded different treatment than other accused rapists? Is Mr. Stein aware of how disgusting he sounds?

“This is a case about the hatred of the have-nots for the haves, and that's what it's all about. A man pays $3,000 a night for a hotel room? He's got to be guilty of something. Bring out the guillotine.”

I keep trying to gather my thoughts to talk about this in a way that is less curse words and invective, but I keep slamming up against my disgust and shock. There is nothing about this that is okay.

3 comments:

  1. He's old and crazy. Don't worry -- he's lost all his power of influence after not having that one show on Comedy Central!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rage burns in my soul. I also got in a fight with people in my poetry class when Arnold Schwarzengasdgasg came up and the fact that he had an illegitimate child 10 years ago with his housekeeper. They were bemoaning poor Maria and then I piped in saying, well...I kinda feel bad for the housekeeper. Their response (all women by the way): Why she got a ton of money, she probably did it on purpose? Which led to a whole conversation in which these girls started making wild claims that women have babies on purpose just to steal money from men. My eyes fell out of my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh. my. fuckinggod. I can't even read this. Just skimming it makes my skin crawl. The idea that an old man could not force someone to have sex with them without using a gun makes me want to send this guy everything ever written by andrea dworkin. If only because her idea that every act of heterosexual sex is forced/rape provides the perfect extreme counterbalance to an argument that sex cannot be forced without the use of a weapon.

    ReplyDelete